A sudden unplanned implantation, and the repercussions thereof. Stay tuned, it's gonna get interesting.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Maternity leave

Today is my last day at the office before a 4 month stint of facing the brutal realities of motherhood. This week has been an optimistic one. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of impending “holiday” to get your spirits up. Have I mentioned I can’t wait to get home? Ahhhhhh… To be on holiday again…

On the dark side of the coin, it seems that nausea has returned with a vengeance. And not just up chucking the content of my oesophagus, nooooo. I have that lingering nausea again, reminiscent of my first 3 months of pregnancy. I have no idea what happened to my nausea pills, I may have to invest in finding some more.

The pictures of my belly came out rather… okay. Only one was really beautiful, where the artificial light catches me just so. I look like I’m deep in joyous contemplation of the bundle of joy under my hands. Soft glow surrounds me too. I wonder if it’s a photoshop effect.

Despite me needing to have my feet up now, and resting – Next week Monday is already gonna be a full day. I have to go see the wedding photographer (We never did get our professional wedding photos, though we may still get them one day). We are gonna make an album. I have a budget and everything. I also have another obstetrician check up same day. These will become a weekly occurrence until I pop this kid, it seems. It’s a bit heavy on my (and the hubby’s, but mostly the hubby’s) pocket.

Then I also have to go see the UIF woman, to finalise my forms and get them to the Dept of Labour. I hope they will deem me worthy of getting some money. Would suck if this was all for naught.

Also, there are a bunch of little things I still need to add to the old hospital bag.

The husband and I went to my parents’ house last weekend. Yes, a 5 hour trip. My mom washed all my baby clothes for me, and we packed them in the required zip lock bags, to ensure there is a nappy, vest and an outfit in each. Well, to be fair, my mom packed everything. I just sort of watched. My mom also made me lasagne, which I asked for. The fast food places and restaurants just can’t make food the way my mom does.

Home sickness is a weird affliction.

My kid has almost more clothes than me now.

The husband has ordered a cot online. That should be here before the baby is. (We hope.)

We are still struggling with estate agents and sellers on the price of the townhouse we want. Either way, we have no idea when we will be able to move in. And, it looks like we will be in my husband’s parents’ house till quite some time after the kid is born. I don’t think this is a bad idea. At least she will be surrounded by loving family, and a support base like that is nothing to sneeze at. More hands to help feed, bathe, burp and clean. Huzzah!

I also speak to my parentals almost daily. They have confirmed that they will be here to support me for almost the whole of December, depending how bored they get. This is great news. I don’t remember much of what they said in the pre-natal classes regarding child care. At least, with my maternity leave, I will have time to read the book I have on that issue.

It seems the office scanner has taken a scanning quality nose dive. I have been unable to get decent scans of the past 2 sonars of the babbie. My apologies, curious masses. I will be putting them into my baby scrapbook, so if anyone ever comes to visit, just ask to see the scrapbook. Rest assured that it looks like a big headed baby. You can’t see much on the sonars anyway: just a big head and some appendages. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I’m still deciding on the QE. To study or not to study, to do it, or not. This will be the last time I have study leave for it. *sigh* Is it worth it?

Can’t wait to get out of here, pity about the mountain of work!

3 comments:

virginia said...

wonderful writing, and strange as this seems now, print your posts and file them safely away. you will enjoy reading them in 5, 10, 15, 20 and 25 years...

communication storage will change, and you don't want to lose these musings.

Prophet Kangnamgu said...

May the holiday ahead be a lovely one. Remember to get enough sleep...

morbidneko said...

thank you, virginia. your photography is, likewise, pretty amazing.

Thanks, Prophet. I find myself rather very bored at home. I slept all afternoon yesterday. I just passed out. That is not normal for me. So, last night, I couldn't sleep!

Figures.