A sudden unplanned implantation, and the repercussions thereof. Stay tuned, it's gonna get interesting.

Monday, August 25, 2008

Brainoscopy

It’s been less than fun blogging lately.

I’ve read in my various pregnancy books and magazines that it often happens that women become feeble-minded / absentminded / forgetful during the pregnancy. I find this holds true.

However, I’m the kind of person who always knows where her keys are (unless they’ve been hi-jacked by he who will not be named, but is very much loved). So, that’s not where the atrophy of mind has struck.

It’s been a source of much frustration for me – verbiage. I can’t seem to put my brain on a word. There I’d be, having a perfectly fine conversation with the hubby, knowing what I want to say, and just abruptly halting. “What is that word…? Man! If I can just remember that word… AAARRRGGH!!”

On the upside, these blank outs are temporary and I eventually manage to get the word off the tip of my brain and into the conversation. Thank goodness for that.

Now, I must indicate at this juncture that English, although it has now become my home language by marriage, is in fact my second language. I still speak Afrikaans with my parents, brother, friends, at work. It is more prevalent for this to occur when speaking the language of the Brits, than my home language.

I wonder if there have been studies to this effect.

Regardless, this is just one more of the many many varied quirks of being high up the pole.

Typing up a blog post is less than exhilirating when one can't remember a word, or have a certain tone in mind, but can't get it out in writing. As you may have noticed, this post... sigh. Not one of my favourites, but I felt I should say something.

I am now 24 weeks into this thing. With the science available today, if my baby was a premie (pre-mature) at this stage, she will more than likely still survive with minimal problems. … That said – I should also add that, survival is linked to the quality care baby will get; also how soon that care can be administrated.

I wonder if science can save my brain...

Somewhat unrelated:
The hunt for the perfect name is still on. We have sort of decided that the initials E.L.L would be charming. We have a middle name down. And the surname is self evident. So any suggestions for English E-names would be welcome. Hell, maybe even some Afrikaans ones. The polls are open. Don’t be shy.

No comments: