A sudden unplanned implantation, and the repercussions thereof. Stay tuned, it's gonna get interesting.

Friday, October 24, 2008

Existential music rant

Is there a distinction between things that make me authentically “me” and things that make me happy?

Try this exercise:

- Compile a list of things that make you uniquely you.

- Now compile a list of things consisting of things you enjoy or love.

- How about a list of things that make you happy?

See, here’s the thing – my lists overlap. But, I suppose that stands to reason when you take into consideration that things you enjoy probably make you happy. … That’s causality for you, folks.

I’m going through another Placebo phase.

Something that has stuck with me, which Brian Molko (lead singer) once said, was that there were way too many tiaras in their crowds. Hee hee. So, does it stand to reason that the people who listen to and love Placebo are all misunderstood, lonely and blissfully oblivious to the real world? It’s called the “Princess complex”.

I love it when Brian tells me that without me, he's nothing. (Not because Brian is saying it, but it’s comforting to hear that – from anyone, in fact.) So, that’s probably how you get stalkers. You get just that little bit detached from reality and suddenly all the lyrics were written specially for you – a person the writer (oftentimes not even the same person as the singer) has never met.

I’m also very attracted to lyrics. Make them colourful, make them deviant, make them morbid! Another favourite of mine is Mr. Manson’s sad song lyrics. For example, have you heard Man That You Fear? It starts out with: “Ants are in the sugar, muscles atrophied, we’re on the other side; the screen is us and we’re TV”.

I love interpreting lyrics. I mean, in most cases, the more cryptic the lyrics, the more multiplied the myriad meanings. I love it!

My husband has bought/ordered me a car radio. If you remember, I became a crime statisticwhen I first moved here. So, I’m anxiously awaiting the opportunity to listen to my music in my car again. Bliss!! Placebo, KoRn, Manson, Radiohead, Rammstein, Seether, Evanescence.

Okay, so maybe I have a bit of a Morbid Princess complex. But, hey – My life rocks right now. I’m a happy morbid princess, content in my perception/delusion of what the world has to offer me and in my daily experiences.

“I’m feeling so anaesthetised in my comfort zone.” – Placebo (The Bitter End)

2 comments:

Prophet Kangnamgu said...

Aah, the appeal to the dark side. One of my all time favourite verses comes from a lyric by Garbage: "I only smile in the dark / My only comfort is the night gone black /
I didn't accidentally tell you that /
I'm only happy when it rains"

morbidneko said...

Is it dark to be introspective sometimes?

^_^

Garbage thinks they're paranoid.

That's about the only song of theirs I can remember...