A sudden unplanned implantation, and the repercussions thereof. Stay tuned, it's gonna get interesting.

Friday, October 3, 2008

a pregnant rant

No, no, I didn’t drop off the mortal coil or anything. I’ve just been a bit burdened under the epic load of work that I’ve been allocated. It happens.

(Well, that and a new addiction.)

As the weeks pass, my abdominal area has been steadily increasing in size. I look like the oros man; but less orange, more pale.

I’m looking forward to my next doctor’s visit, next week Wednesday; another sneak peak at the little princess in uterus-al comfort. The jury isn’t out yet on whether my partner in parenting will be able to accompany me. Leave benefits for impending parenthood sure are skewed.

For example, I get to claim sick leave every time I go for my monthly (well, 6 weekly, coz I can’t afford going monthly) doctor’s visits. The husband has to book annual leave if he wants to accompany me. Both of us only get 15 days annual a year. Now, is it fair that he has to miss hearing the heartbeat, seeing the scans, and holding my hand because of these outdated laws?

It annoys the living stuffing out of me that I may have to go to the next visit by myself; sit in the waiting room by myself; not have my significant other to share the oohs and aahs with. It’s ridiculous.

(Did I make the kid by myself? Noooooo.)

We don’t have any more annual leave, we got married this year. We only took 3 days each for that. Leave has to accumulate, you see.

Paternity leave vs. maternity leave: Correct me if I’m mistaken, but I think in this country, if an impending mom has worked for a company for a minimum of 1 year, she can get 4 months maternity. By law, the dad is only allowed a minimum of 3 days paternity leave. This is for when the spawnling makes it’s anxiously awaited appearance.

3 days.

I hear the 1st 6 weeks of post birth activity are the most demanding and emotionally and physically draining for the new mom. And, she has do it alone, coz the husband has to be at work? Why wasn’t I born a trust fund baby?

Don’t get me started on the expense!

Every visit costs a minimum of R1,200. Everything is billed separately. Doctor’s consultation. Blood test. Urine test. Sonar. It’s a brilliant money-making system. My ridiculous medical aid, while still usurping R1,200 per month from me before I even receive my pay cheque, has stopped paying these bills on the 1st visit. The reason? Benefits have been exhausted. You know, coz my day to day is only R1,280 per year. Per YEAR. That includes dental, doctors, optometrist, everything. It’s ridiculous. (The frame alone of my prior set of glasses was 2 grand. WTH?)

I am studying, pregnant, working. My disposable income after deductions is embarrassingly close to zero. It’s even negative some months. It makes me wonder what exactly the point to me working is. Coz, I don’t see any of the money. Most of it is deducted before it even reaches my bank account.

And, don’t get me started on the money making racket the bank is! Including but not limited to: Monthly “management” fees, stop order fees, “handling” fees, interest. My bank costs are close to R200 per month. And for WHAT?

Hey, I’m just trying to make an honest living here. The hubby and I are dual income, and living at his parents’ house for FREE, but making ends meet is becoming a nightmarish ordeal.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I didn’t do the research or something. I went to every banking website and compared costs for all the products I use. Guess what – they all put the screws on the same. If one’s interest rate is 1% higher or lower, they just make up the difference on the annual “card fee” or “management fees”. The differences between them are negligible. Therefore, it’s not worth the effort (and cost!) of switching banks.

The medical aid is compulsory.

The studies (at a grand a month) are also compulsory. It’s in the old service contract.

Tax is also compulsory.

So, what if I just quit my job? Yikes.

-I suppose I could go to government health institutions for free. Maybe contract TB in the waiting room, HIV by inadequately trained staff in inadequately staffed and stocked clinics.

- I suppose I could queue all day for a week in a room full of sick people, on a first come first served basis, it’s not like I’d be working.

- I wouldn’t be able to afford to study any further, therefore making the chartered accountancy designation evade me forever, despite the LARGE need for more of those in this country. I don’t know why education is so expensive anyway.

- No more work, no more tax for the government to misspend, or corrupt politicians to line their pockets with. (Don’t get me started on the mismanagement of tax funds. I see it every day in my occupation. It’s SCARY: Unqualified people making questionable, fraudulent and illegal choices.)

People who DO go to the free clinics pay absolutely nothing. They get their consultations, procedures 100% free. There isn’t even a co-pay. Whereas the tax paying citizens are not only paying outrageous amounts in tax (not really paying, more like the money gets jacked before you even get your pay cheque), but are forced to join costly medical aids, and then still pay for medical care, as the funds just don’t cover the medical basics.

I’m just broke, tired, uncomfortable and irritable. Don’t mind me.

Post script
In this country, it is illegal for an employer to make a husband work while his wife/girlfriend/mother of his child is in labour. Comforting.
Barely.

3 comments:

Prophet Kangnamgu said...

Wow! It sounds terrible. Now I'm definitely not getting kids! Who can afford them?!

Best of luck... I don't know what else to say.

Khatija said...

my medical aid is also the same. i can only start using it after a year which is June 2009 ish.

i dont see their reasoning

Mary-Jane said...

It really is horrible. Do you know that in the very olden days, there was only tax when a country was under threat of war? Then they raised money like that for the army. The rest of the time the 'government' had to fend for themselves.
I think the government and big institutions (medical aid, banking etc.) are getting way too comfy on our money.